CairnTalk

Introducing Widget

Muugi

Forth day update,

No new pictures but I will work on that tomorrow.

He has gotten along quite well in his new home. He has slept through each night with no noises what so ever. Once we start to rustle about in the morning he sits up and makes some slight noise to let us know he is there and wants to go outside.

He went for his first walk around the block today and did pretty good. He has gotten used to walking on a leash (since each time he goes potty he is on a leash). He is still quite scared of cars but I think he will get used to them.

The housebreaking program is going along quite well. Three "accidents" the first day, one the second day, one the third day and none so far today. Of course each accident is actually our (the owner's) fault. I am not sure if he meant it but today I saw him sitting in front of the back door staring at it. I took him right out and sure enough he went potty right away.

At this point I think he is a fabulous dog. He has been good in all aspects. He has learned very quickly and has a great temperment. His hunting instincts are alive and well. I "fabricated" a whip type toy that I saw at the breeder's house. A long pole with a rope and toy attached to the end. He chases that all over the yard. It is probably his favorite game. We played a bit on the bed and I scratched the sheets under the covers at one end and he crawled under the blankets with great speed to find the sound.

I have to think that most of this "good news" is a tribute to his mother's upbringing and his breeder's care and knowledge. All I have done is hold the leash and read a few books.

My only concern is not caused by him but by the older lab. A few years ago we had a few other dogs and she earned a nick-name of "Black Dog of Doom". She can be quite a grump. He annoys her and she snarls. Earlier Widget got on her nerves and she finally gave him a lesson. She let out a big bark and "snapped" at him. My heart just about stopped. But as the books say, she was letting him no that she had enough. The good thing is that he listens to the growl now and will back off when the teeth are shown. I know that she will warm up to the little one but it will take a bit of time.

Sorry for the incoherent string of thoughts but I wanted to drop by quickly before going off to watch a College Football game.... (goooo sooners!).

aahhh, now I"m missing the puppy day's. Widget you are so cute and I know you are a sweet boy. You just can't go wrong with a Cairn breeder. I talk to my breeder on a weekly basis - a wealth of information.

Widget is just absolutely precious. Those crate pictures and the one with him in the bed with the Lab are terrific. We're so happy to have you and Widget with us in our group.

Thanks for the update on Widget. Sounds like everything is going well and that Widget is becoming a big part of your family!

Widget's coloring looks so much like Finch's....I thought I was looking at our dog! Finch also loved her crate and loved to sleep half inside, half outside containers. Here she is sleeping outside of her toy crate (just a plastic tub).

finch12054zj.jpg

Muugi, Scully has that same ball - in EVERY color that PetSmart sells! We have them upstairs, downstairs, in the family room - EVERYWHERE. Even at 2, sometimes she'll decide to "snack" on the end. At least here, they're only $.99!

Guest CairnTCrazie

ha ha, two new pups on the forums and they are both named the same as two of my horses! lol. Widget is adorable!!

Widget has really taken to walking on a leash. We have gone for walks about our little town here just about every day. We went for a couple long walks today and boy is he tired. As I have heard, "A tired puppy is a good puppy". If the weather cooperates just a little bit tomorrow I will have to take some pictures of him out walking.

Archived