• Strip, Stripping knife
    • Cut, Scissors
    • Cut, Clippers
    • Combo. of the other methods
    • Hire a groomer and don't know how they do it
    • Don't groom
    • Mars Coat King

Hi Pammy-

I second that - don't feel bad about how you groomed your first Cairns! Riley (my first) never had any skin problems at all from my mistakes in shaving him; he just had the wrong kind of coat & it created other problems for him. He was otherwise a very happy dog. He possibly could have developed skin problems if we lived in a damp climate, but I'm fortunate to live in high desert so it's nice & dry here - never had a problem with bad skin or fleas in my household. My skin, on the other had, has a few wrinkles....

I think a lot of skin problems come from food allergies anyway.

At any rate, that post earlier by brin145 had a fantastic link to step-by-step photos of what 'pulling' is: color-and-grooming.html

It is exactly what it seems - pulling out the hair. I occasionally pull a few problem areas in Rocky, but mostly I leave it to the professionals. Just interview your groomers before you trust your dog to them, or start in on it yourself. You can't do any harm; much less than using the shaver, and it really doesn't hurt them. Just pull what comes out easily. Good luck!

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Thank you Nancy, I thought someone gave a really good site to go to. I saved brin link and will try and trim Peanuts face today. I dont have any tools to work with yet. But going to price them soon . I hate to order things on line.So i hope my local pet store carrys the mar king coat comb.

thanks againfor all your help...

pammy,peanut,duncan,rocky!

Archived