CairnTalk

Puppy mill story

hallswel

I'm myhoneymoonbaby's husband, here's my take on all this.

First, the biggest problem here is that most people are uneducated when it comes to this topic. People buy puppies from stores because they just don't know the harsh details and most of all due to convenience. I'll admit, I was one of them. After we purchased Vinny, we read the articles and learned the benefits of going through breeders but as my wife said, nothing could ever get the way of our love for this dog. Will I purchase another puppy from a store? Absolutely not. Will I browse these stores every once in a while to see some cute faces, yes indeed. I don't think this country has enough educated consumers to put an end to the puppy mill situation. Those that regulate these conditions need to step up to the plate and cover ground. I personally feel everyone should make an attempt to educate those that just don't know and spread the word. Unfortunately, puppy stores aren't going anywhere anytime soon, all we can hope for is that conditions are improved and these poor little animals get the life they deserve, happy and healthy.

I read the list of issues that puppy mill dogs can obtain throughout their lives. Temperment, training, health etc. ..... these problems can occur in any puppy, whether it be from a puppy mill or breeder. I do agree that it is far less likely when you go through a reputable breeder, but not all breeders are reputable as my wife mentioned. Everyone just needs to make the best possible decision once they've been educated.

We love our Cairn so much that he has become a huge part of our lives and we couldn't ever think about being without him. Luckily, he's almost fully trained at 6 months, great with everyone he encounters, and so far very healthy. I often think about his health and hope he remains a healthy dog for a long time to come, but one thing's for sure.... this dog will be spoiled with our love forever. In the end, this is what it's all about, and that's what some of us mean when we say we saved a dog.

your lucky - hope everything continues to work out well for your pup.

I agree with Tena though. I wouldnt buy a leash from a pet store -

Its about breaking the cycle...

supply and demand --

Instead of doing the research on the breed and finding a breeder who knows and loves the breed everyone is in such a hurry to take home a dog today - You have no idea how many "pet store dogs" end up at the shelters.

sad -

Archived