CairnTalk

ears

ksimpson

:D Hi! I've had my male cairn for about a month, he's 13 weeks old. Have been looking for info on when the ears come up, his are still flopped over and pictures show ears up. Anyone remember when the ears came up on their cairns? Thanks

We got our female pup at 8 weeks of age. One ear was up, one down. By the end of her first week home, both ears had popped up. Our previous cairn's ears were both up when we got her at 10 weeks of age.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Some seem to come up later than others. Some come up and then drop back down again during teething. I suppose there must be an occasional Cairn where they never come up but I wouldn't sweat it until six months, if at all. Dropped ears aren't correct for the breed, but they are undeniably cute -- one up and one down takes the cake. I think it's pretty rare for them to never come up.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi!! My male Cairn was just about 6 months of age when his ears stayed up - until then we had one up and one down - - very cute!! I am amazed at the size of his ears - - they look like satelite dishes - - and the different positions he can put them in - - they even go sideways!!! I laugh everytime I talk to him - - he looks confused and his ears take on several postions - - it is almost like he is trying to zone in on me!!

Our's ears look especially funny when wet. My boys say shes looks like Dobby from Harry Potter!! ;)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

• 2 weeks later...
;) I posted the original question about ears. The breeder had suggested that I tape them up, so I used a little scotch tape to adjust them to the "up" position. Took off the tape after two days and they were UP!! I'm not sure how much help the taping was or if it was just time, but they've both stayed up ever since, so they were actually both up by the time he was 4 months old--but I'm not sure how long it would have taken without the tape "training".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived