CairnTalk

Saw this dog at a Shelter - Question about Carins

Duckman

I am so sad to hear this news....I wish I could put all the people who run these mills in the same situation...let them sit in their own poo, feel scared, and all the other horrible things these dogs have to endure!

Thanks for the information. I have read quite a bit on parvo today and so far it seems:

* It is a treatable condition in many cases, although not curable.

* If a dog gets through the treatment, there can be many quality years of life left.

* Sometimes, even with treatment, the dog will not survive and it may be very painful for the dog getting through it.

* Shelters may not treat a parvo dog due to the expense involved and the exposure of it to other animals in the shelter.

One other consideration I have is my other animal (a Maltese) (all shots/vaccinations have always been up-to-date).

Any other information, especially from people with actual experience with a dog with parvo, would be helpful...

So sorry to hear about the puppy...

Our dog had Augie had parvo as a puppy (yellow lab). Somebody dumped him in our backyard when he was about 5 weeks old. We had all of his shots but still came down with parvo - if infected, vacs. don't work. It was very expensive to treat, especially when we had NO money (husband still in school) but somehow we managed the bills and Augie pulled thru. What about Augie now? He is fifteen years old and still going! A little creaky in the back legs, hard of hearing, eyes a little milky - but in great shape for a dog his age. He never had any health issues in all these years - no after effects of the parvo.

Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. - Mark Twain

Archived