CairnTalk

Black Skin Disease

ginnyaiken

It looks like Gidget may have developed this condition, even though she's not a Pom, the breed most associated with it. After her problems with the Urinary Tract problems, her previously pink skin has turned black over almost all her body. This condition explains her hair loss, even though she doesn't have the typical itchiness or the bad smell. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anything that helped? I'm concerned with the cottony fuzz that's on the previously bald areas. She still has mostly harsh coat running down her spine and on her face. I knew from the start the challenges that might come with a puppy mill rescue dog, but this one is a new one for us.

Not much! That it's very unusual, and that they usually treat symptoms. Right now, her only symptoms are the hair loss and the dark skin. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, doesn't have any crusty spots on her skin, no sores, no real itchiness, so there's nothing he's going to do right now. It's not a condition that will kill her, but it could make her miserable if the itchiness begins or if she develops the sores. I've read up online about it, but the information isn't very conclusive, with a whole lot of anecdotal info, and just about as many things to do as there are stories. I was hoping someone with a Cairn had experience or knows of someone who does.

In 2007 my dog had similar dark skin & hair loss & itching symptoms. It was somewhat limited to his feet and belly when I noticed it & took him to the Vet who did some skin scrapings & diagnosed it as Demodicosis. This is a form of mange, which sounded horrible to me, but is treatable. The treatment plan we chose was daily doses of Milbemycin oxime, which is marketed as Interceptor, a monthly heartworm preventative. It can be used safely on a daily basis. Our course of treatment was at least 6 weeks and possibly longer. The only downside is that it is very expensive, but it worked. At the end of treatment the Vet could no longer see the live demodectic mange mites under the microscope.

I was disturbed to be told that my dog had mange, but I understand that this mite can commonly be present, but inactive in many dogs. Often it is passed on to pups from the mother. It can become active as it did in our case if a dog is elderly and/or its immune system isn't strong.

The treatment was a success & we've had no further problems.

I hope this is helpful & that your vet is familiar with this disease. Good luck!

P.S. As an alternative to the expensive Interceptor, there are also effective dips available and possibly shampoos which are much cheaper.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Update: After speaking with the vet again, it turns out it might be Malassezia Dermatitis, a fungal infection. From what I now understand, it might have been triggered by the 10-day course of antibiotics she took for the suspected UTI, but the culture taken at that time came back negative for infection, and the antibiotic may have been unnecessary. The other possible trigger, since she's had digestive problems--a couple bouts of very, very bloody diarrhea, and poor appetite when we first got her--is food allergy. So I'm back to square one with food. Does anyone have any experience with this? If not, any groups you know that might help? The vet will have me bathing her with Nixoral (sp?) to control the fungal infection on her skin. I can also use dilute vinegar on days when she's not bathed to keep the infection under control. Poor little thing. Her coat looks totally motheaten.

My Hannah had dark skin. She started off a baby pink when very young but then turn a not so attractive dark colour. So perhaps the skin colour is normal ?

As for the coat, the Cairn was bred for the very bitter cold of the Scottish Highlands and while the extraordinary thick and heavy weather proof coat is a life saver in that environment, it can cause serious problems in a warmer climate. Here in the warm south coast of England Hannah had quite a number of problems with rashes and intense irritation of the skin. So in addition to a very effective flea treatment I also sheared Hannah

post-3598-1220470337_thumb.jpg

Is Gidget's hair loss symetrical? I looked up black skin disease, and it is also known as pseudo-Cushing's, as Cushing's Disease has the same symptoms and hair loss. There is a "vet-induced" Cushing's Disease caused by the injection of Corticosols (Cortisone). It also ties in with the bladder/urinary problems.

I also looked up Malassezia Dermatitis, although I only read one or two short articles. I think you would have noticed and "strong odor of rancid fat" with that specific fungal infection, but maybe not. I didn't read too much on that one.

Hopefully it is some type of yeast/fungal infection and the shampoo and mild vinegar rinses will work.

Chris, I think you nailed it! The day I took her in to the vet with the UT problems, he gave her a hefty shot of cortisone for the bladder inflammation. Could you give me a head's up to where you found the info re the vet-induced Cushing's? I need to see what I can find out, since our vet's very unhelpful (I'm being diplomatic here) at this point. There is absolutely no odor, no skin irritation, no crusty sores, no itching other than what she would normally do. This clinches it for me. I'm on the new-vet hunt here.

I found a bunch of articles, Chris. Thanks for the info you posted. Now I have something to discuss with the new vet. This makes more sense than any of the other possibilities.

Well, I'm certainly not a vet so hopefully your new "improved" vet can get you a proper diagnosis and treatment. My linking Gidget's symptoms to vet-induced Cushing's came from following your initial gut instinct and intuition about black skin disease. I think a lot of vets are too rushed seeing too many animals a day to pay specific detailed attention to each case. Following up on our own hunches or getting second opinions when we don't think things "feel right" is always a good idea, IMO.

Keep us posted on Gidget's health.

Shortly after we got our rescue T-Bone a year ago, he developed the "black skin" on his stomach, and it was diagnosed as the skin disease you mentioned (malasezia dermatitis). We were given a medicinal shampoo and also some medication (and I forget what it was called). We shampooed him weekly, and he had to stay in the tub with the medication on for 10 minutes before we rinsed him. It eventually cleared up the problem. This spring I noticed the problem returning just under his hind legs and started him on the shamppos again. It has again cleared up. I think if it's not too much of a problem you can treat this just with some shampoo and diligence once you get it under control.

Interesting that you should mention Cushings because I have just been talking with a neighbor who owns Walter, my Allie's border collie best friend. He had digestive problems and a bout of diarrhea following the use of prednisone for some kind of infection. He actually had red blood in his diarrhea, and his "mom" has been totally worried. The vet mentioned cushings as a possibility, but my friend decided to take her dog on to a second vet, who felt the problems might have been brought on by the prednisone. He said cushings is quite hard to diagnose, and in any case Walt is now recovering nicely. He is on a prescription dog food.

Hope all turns out well for your pup.

sheila and Misty

Mistys skin was very pink then turned maroonish black and then pinker and constantly does that as her coat changes colors from lighter to darker(shes a wheaton brindle) . I use to think she was getting dirt in her ears but it was the skin change. her belly never got as pink again as when she was a pup-but look at a babys skin and look at ours now.........hmmmm. Im not saying that this is your case its just something to concider-and the itching and hairloss- try the omega 3 oil. we discussed this recently on one of the threads. It works wonders on Mistys itches.

Archived