CairnTalk

Thinking about getting a Cairn puppy

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a Cairn puppy. I've heard lots of wonderful things about them. Can you tell me about some of the downside of owning a Cairn? Are there any behavioral issues to be concerned about (chewing up furniture, etc.)?

Hi! You asked about Cairns and down side. Overall, after doing a ton, literally a ton of research on Cairns... I don't see any particular "down side" to them if they are the breed that suits you best. Any dog that's not trained will be unruly. Any puppy given too much freedom and not crate trained is very likely to get into bad habits such as chewing on things it shouldn't... but are Cairns more prone to that than others... I don't think so. What you do need to be aware of though is that they do have a tendency to follow their nose... they need to be in a well contained and fully fenced yard, and even that needs to be examined regularly to make sure that your little Cairn hasn't taken to trying to dig it's way out. They love to dig, and so if left to their own devices in a yard you might find that digging becomes an issue. They are members of the terrier group, and that can mean they have a tendency toward being stubborn, and shall we say, questioning of authority. They need to know what their place in the home is, and with training and consistency, they must understand what's acceptable and unacceptable. But again, that's the way it is with all dogs... they need to know where in the pack they fit and what that means.

So really, the important thing is for you to know what kind of lifestyle you have, what your personality is like... do you want a dog that you can tell something once to and it obeys, or can you deal with a dog that might not do what you want until you prove to him why he should have to!

Cairns are wonderful companions, great family dogs, loyal and interested in the happenings in their home. They are little clowns and love to be the center of attention. They are generally a hardy breed, though there are genetic health issues (as with most breeds)... but if you are careful when choosing a breeder, you will lessen your chances of having such issues crop up in your Cairn.

The best of luck on your Cairn Quest!

My little girl, Carmen is 4 1/2 months and a true joy! First things all puppys chew anyone that says otherwise has never had a puppy. Second, each puppy has a different personality. I have adopted 3 adult dogs, doberman, cocker, and a cairn. I trained my little yorkie puppy. Now I bring home Carmen at 14 weeks. After a week at home and feeling like I was getting no where fast, I called a trainer. I believe in professional trainers and have no problems using them. So my advise is read all you can about the breed. Talk to breeders about the breed. And when you bring home your new bundle of joy, enroll in puppy school. It is worth every minute.

Archived