CairnTalk

involuntary shaking and panting...

sjleworthy

.....or is it?

our 5 year old cairn (who was spayed last year) is very independent at home, and is used to being completely spoiled and ruined by me and my wife. She sleeps up on the bed with us (the dog, not the wife) and knows her regular evening walk time which she loves. and she's quite demanding - she'll stare you out or whine if she want something.

but in the last week, generally in the evenings when we're watching tv, she'll start pacing around the room and panting and shaking, like she's very anxious about something. but if we open the door or gate for her she'll stay in the room with us, still shaking and panting. I'm sure she's not putting this on on purpose, but it's not only irritating for us, but quite concerning too. As i say, it's only been happening the last week or so in the evenings. She usually stares us out and paces when she wants us to all go to bed (she wont go up on her own) but whats with this shaking and panting, it can last for ages?

any ideas?

Is Amy in the same room with you before she begins the pacing, panting, etc., or does she come in from another part of the house where maybe something has startled or scared her? Is it possible something is going on outside that she can hear, but you can't, that might be upsetting her? Have you tried taking her outdoors, or through the rest of the house on a leash when she is in this state? Is it always about the same time of night when she does this? Bailey was always upset when we watched DVDs because the audio is different (surround sound) than regular TV. Now, as soon as he sees the blue-screen come on, he gets up and leaves the room! Also some TV stations seem to have louder audio than others, and that would startle him. No real solutions here, just some thoughts.

Jim

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

sheila and Misty

get a vet check-my scruffy did that not only when he was anxios, but if his ears were bothering him or if he was itchy-it was always something going on.

agree with all. on the surface it seems like she has been scared by something elsewhere in the house and is hanging around you for protection. but i have had dogs interpret physical discomfort as an attack by some unseen enemy. she clearly isn't in real pain, since she would have ways of showing it, but she could be in the early stages of something --upset tummy, ears, something that makes it uncomfortable for her to lay down and be still.

if she checks out okay at the vet, you might try to see if you can locate what is upsetting her. i would start by carrying her to different rooms of the house at night (scary time), put her down, and see how she reacts. if you can find out what part of the house makes her anxious, you might start to get a clue (strange lighting angles? buzzing or humming? any chance she has received an electric shock?)

thanks guys.

Jim - nope, in the same room before. it's like she turns it on for us because its bed time or treat time or something else she wants. she can then easily lay down and stop it. but she usually doesn't. if we then put her in another room on her own, you go back and check up on her 5 mins later she's calmed down. strange. perhaps when she does it again though i'll go with her wherever she leads me to see if there's something on her mind. (ps, she LOVES the tv. always barking at children and animals. tail wagging aplenty)

she was ok last night, but if it continues i'll definitely consult a vet - i can see dogs getting hyped and upset or wound up by design, but shivering/shaking? thats not correct or voluntary in my book.

thanks guys.

Jim - nope, in the same room before. it's like she turns it on for us because its bed time or treat time or something else she wants. she can then easily lay down and stop it. but she usually doesn't. if we then put her in another room on her own, you go back and check up on her 5 mins later she's calmed down. strange. perhaps when she does it again though i'll go with her wherever she leads me to see if there's something on her mind. (ps, she LOVES the tv. always barking at children and animals. tail wagging aplenty)

she was ok last night, but if it continues i'll definitely consult a vet - i can see dogs getting hyped and upset or wound up by design, but shivering/shaking? thats not correct or voluntary in my book.

If a dog is very afraid of something they will shake. Also, if they are extremely tense they will shake as well. If you every put your hands on a dog that has spotted quarry you can literally feel there muscles quivering with anticipation.

However, I'm with the others in thinking that if the behavior continues that a vet check is in order.

Someone else on another list I'm on has just reported the exact same behavior. I wonder if there's some sort of critter out and about this time of year that's exciting them.

Someone else on another list I'm on has just reported the exact same behavior. I wonder if there's some sort of critter out and about this time of year that's exciting them.

That's a good point. Skunks & possums are nocturnal visitors in our neighborhood, and I know our dogs get excited and run around when they hear or smell them outside. I dread the possibility of another "skunking" with the approach of warmer weather.

Jim, Connie, Bailey & Sophie

FLOWERCHILD-1-1.jpgBAILEYSOPHIE4-22-07002-1.jpg

Get her to a vet YESTERDAY! My girlfriend's Sheltie had the exact same symptoms for a week until all of a sudden she went blind. That prompted a vet visit. Blood work came back abnormal, swollen lymph nodes, and well you can guess the outcome :(

Tom

I am not sure how serious the shaking and panting is. Holly is also 5 and she has spells of this when she is either constipated or loose, and at times when stressed out by something like fireworks - she will run round room and shake and pant. I asked vet about it and he just said it would be from the discomfor and stress.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

How about thunder in the distance that you cant hear but she does or fireworks? Jock and our old Scottie knew long before we even knew there was a weather disturbance. Planes sometimes also have the same effect on Jock he shakes and barks and carries on.

In any even a visit with the vet just to check blood work, eyes etc I think would be a good thing to do.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Archived